Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cloth Diaper Mini Series, Part 1

Cloth Diapers…

If you aren’t super granol-e or green and you come from a generation where cloth diapers were all you had to use…most turn up their nose. I want to do a series on cloth diapers because I have friends ask me questions about cloth diapers. I want to offer a simple resource for basic cloth diapers, things in retrospect I would have like to have known when buying my stash.

I’ve been cloth diapering for just about a year (since Adley was born) so I feel that year entitles me to experience. (hehe) Ten years ago there were pre-folds and plastic pants (yuck!) and now there are hundreds of brands of cloth diapers and they are way cuter, and easier to use. For cost reasons and my sanity I found one cloth diaper brand I liked and went with it. I am planning on having a few mama guest writers who can highlight their favorite brand of cloth diaper.

About me: You sort of already know me (through stalking my facebook and blog ☺). I’m a stay at home mom of one adorable daughter who is 10 ½ months old. I started cloth diapering for how cheap they are. I’m not super earthy or a granola gal, but it is nice to be able to make up for the amount of paper towels and paper plates I go through each week. For me, cloth is CHEAP (and cute), and that is why I cloth diaper! I think my one piece of advice for parents who are deciding whether or not they should do cloth would be: if you are hesitating, if you aren’t willing to just take the leap, then don’t. I don’t mean it harshly, but I’m not here to sell you my great product, just tell you about something I love because it is great for my daughter and saves me money. Jason and I talked it over before I bought my stash and we decided if we bought cloth diapers, we would actually do it; unlike the new diet, workout program and brand new running shoes we bought that we didn’t use. We don’t regret our decision.

This first blog will be about showing you some basic info:
  • Cloth diapering basics-what you need to know and some basic terms
  • Cost Analysis-This part was what convinced me…when I saw the cost breakdown of cloth over disposable, I was sold.
  • And some general FAQ’s off of my favorite company’s website- The ones to really look at are…Diaper Stash Details and Laundry/Wash Routine
Reading this info on these websites might be a bit confusing so I will offer my ‘experience’ after each one so you can see it from a real live mom’s perspective.


Cloth Diapering Basics-
http://www.green-bambino.com/get-started-with-cloth-diapers/
This is a locally owned cloth diaper store in my area and it is full of cloth diapering mommas with great advice. The pdf file in the link gives you basic info to terms, washing info, everything you need and benefits. This may lead to more questions, but that’s perfectly fine. If you have a question for me post it or message me on facebook. Since I’m also planning on this being a mini series I will hopefully answer some questions as I go along.

Cost Analysis-
http://www.diaperdecisions.com/pages/cost_of_cloth_diapers.php
I found this website while researching my blog. Don’t let the $$$$ scare you. I did not use just pre-folds and flats and my total diapering cost from birth to potty training for Adley was around $400.00.
If you still aren’t sold this website can help you decide whether or not you are ready to take the plunge. I have a friend who uses disposable diapers and she coupons and watches for sales and can get her diapers as cheap as $.15 a diaper which according to this website is cheaper than anything other than pre-folds (again, I don’t use just pre-folds, so don’t let that fully sway you).

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/03/17/cloth-diapering-a-real-world-analysis/
When I first started researching cloth diapers, I came across this website and I found this momma’s cost analysis very helpful. This lady spent way more than I did, but I found her CA very practical. I make my own ‘diaper safe’ laundry soap for around $.05 a load.

FAQ’s-
http://www.green-bambino.com/faqs/category/laundry
This website some basic answers to questions you may be asking about cloth diapers. Hopefully this info will be helpful in educating you about cloth diapers.

Hopefully this was helpful. I'm excited to share more info with new momma's. My goal is to have this completed in less than a month. Feedback and questions would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I love our cloth diapers. I am no expert obviously either (seeing that I have only used them for a month now =) ) But they have been absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete