Monday, December 20, 2010

Better Than a Hallelujah

My December has been busy, busy, busy.
It has been a fun challenging visiting someone each weekend and packing for not just myself, but a 'messy' (it is normal) baby.

I haven't had much time to post, but I've had a lot to think about. On a recent quick trip to Nebraska I spent a good portion of my driving time in prayer. I have learned that praying while driving leaves me such peace.

I'm also excited because my dear cousin (the one whom I meet with weekly for a devotional) bought me two new devotional books for Christmas. I can't wait to read through them and have God use them in my life!

In the holiday spirit my dear husband bought me an iTunes gift card for Christmas. We exchange gifts early due to our many trips. I was able to buy an Amy Grant song that I heard on the radio and wanted to hear again. I wanted to post the lyrics, because if you haven't heard the song it is beautiful.



God loves a lullaby
In a mothers tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
God loves the drunkards cry,
The soldiers plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah.

The woman holding on for life,
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes
The tears of shame for what's been done,
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

Better than a church bell ringing,
Better than a choir singing out, singing out.

I think the chorus leaves such a beautiful message. Even when I pour our my miseries to God, He hear my voice crying to Him for strength and crying to Him in pain. Jesus did the same thing. 

Matthew 27:46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).

Of course I don't know exactly what God was thinking, but imagine with me for a second...
...that instead of God's heart breaking as mine does when Adley is in pain, imagine God rejoicing or hearing a melody knowing that all of the pain will be wiped away in Heaven. Each earthly pain we face not only allows us to lean more on the God who deserves all trust and praise, but also brings us one step closer to permanent Hallelujahs. How beautiful. 

As I ponder on these lyrics I cannot help but remember that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

No comments:

Post a Comment