Saturday, March 5, 2011

Savings Queen...

Okay...I love finding a good deal and I LOVE saving money. A favorite phrase of mine is, 'buy used and save the difference.'

Here are a few ways that I try to save money in our household.
1. During the summer (when we don't have free food from the cafeteria) I coupon.
2. I take advantage of the local grocery store's sales (I bought about $60 in merchandise and saved about $60 too!)
3. I buy the majority of my clothing either on clearance or at a few of my favorite cheap stores (Ross, Goodwill and Plato's Closet....ooo and garage sales too). It is so much fun to brag when your total outfit cost less than $12. I've even had free outfits!
4. I make my own laundry soap. The name brand soaps cost around 20-30 cents a load...mine...5-8 cents. I do about 10 loads a week. (Total savings is around $60.00 a year...that starts adding up!)
5. I use cloth diapers on my baby....(what this whole blog post is about)...savings there is about $3,000.00 with this child. (Yes, I just said I saved $3,000.00.)
6. I'm about to start using cloth for myself (savings here...I calculated would be about $3,600.00.) I won't post all the details here...but if you have specific questions...feel free to email me!
7. I breastfeed my baby...here is some information about that. (First off, it is better for the baby and it is free!) http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/prepare/bfcostbenefits.html,
Artifical Infant Formula Prices
Prices from Publix Supermarkets, Orlando, FL (April 2005)
Formula prices below are based on an average daily consumption of 30 ounces per day.
Formula
Brands
Serving
Ounces
Cost
Per Can
Cost per
Month
Cost per
Year
Enfamil Lipil Powdered
94 oz
$12.19
$119
$1424
Enfamil Lipil Concentrated
26 oz
$3.89
$137
$1643
Enfamil Lipil Ready Feed
32 oz
$5.69
$162
$1949
Similac Adv. Powdered
115 oz
$13.69
$109
$1303
Similac Adv. Concentrated
26 oz
$3.89
$137
$1424
Similac Adv. Ready Feed
32 oz
$5.59
$160
$1916
Isomil Adv. Powdered
94 oz
$12.99
$126
$1511
Isomil Adv. Concentrated
26 oz
$4.29
$151
$1807
Prosobee Lipil Powdered
94 oz
$11.99
$117
$1402
Prosobee Lipil Concentrated
26 oz
$3.91
$137
$1643
Nutramigen-Lipil Powder
115 oz
$23.49
$186
$2234
Nutramigen-Lipil Concentrated
26 oz
$6.19
$217
$2606
Alimentum-Adv. Ready Feed
32 oz
$8.29
$236
$2836
Progestimil Power
112 oz
$24.29
$198
$2376
Lacto-free Lipil Concentrated
26 oz
$3.89
$137
$1643

On to the cloth diapers....I'm going to give you some awesome reasons why you should consider cloth when/if you have a kiddo.
1. They are adorable...
example a.: This one is a swim diaper that I got Adley today...but let's be honest it is way cuter than the silly disposable ones (which cost more).
2. Here are some really good reason with back up. (they toliet train earlier, no chemicals, no environmental issues, fewer diaper rashes)
3. Here are a lot of great resources on how much cheaper cloth can be for you.

Okay...You can spend up to $1,000.00 buying cloth diapers...or as little as $150.00. We spent around $200.00ish.
I love the Thirsties Duo system and works great for littler ones.
 When they are still breastfed the clean up is easy peasy. You simply just throw everything in the wash. Once they get older there are nifty neat-o flusable inserts so you can send the yucky stuff away.

Here are some pics of the diapers...
Total lifetime savings pre-calculated: $16,640.00
(Add with each kid more I have...add about $3,000.00 on to that.)
How do you save your family money?

1 comment:

  1. I do most of the stuff that you do! I can never pay full amount for clothing unless its business attire... i just hate spending the money. Almost everything in our house is used furniture that was either given to us, garage sale buys that we re-did, or bought on sale. We are registering at green bambino to do cloth diapers! Lets keep it up.

    ReplyDelete