Friday, November 26, 2010

Self Control

Ah...the holidays



where we stuff ourselves with lots of calorie laden food and regret it later.

Self control...a word that we simply ignore during the holidays using excuses like...

...we never get this food...

...it is just once a year... and so on.

But what does the Bible have to say about self control

Proverbs 25:28 'Like city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control.'

A city left defenseless....hmm...

So when I chose to overeat and not have control over my body I am not only allowing my self to sin I am also allowing myself to be defenseless to Satan's other schemes for sin in my life. In my devotional book it says that lack of self control in little areas of our lives (i.e. overeating, not praying or having personal devotional time) leads to lack of self control in larger areas of our lives. Thinking about the potential consequences can be devastating and motivating. Choosing to overeat can cause lack of self control in obedience to my husband and other areas. Lack of self-control is sin and causes me to sin more, but self-control is a fruit of a healthy spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I took this to heart this Thanksgiving and focused on enjoy the food and filling myself with good food, but not stuffing myself. I felt so much more satisfied and I didn't regret one bit of the delicious food. We were also blessed with so many leftovers than I am able to enjoy all of the delicious food even today.

My motto for self-control: Practice self-control in the little areas and it will come naturally to me in the bigger areas.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment