Okay, that is an exaggeration, I know, but let's just say I am selfish.
Adley has at least three friends that have a Sophie the Giraffe
(see, cute little thing)
And she LOVES it. It doesn't matter if there are a pile of toys sitting on the floor, she will always go for Sophie.
So cute!
In fact, I think she takes after a dear friend of mine who LOVES giraffe's. Because Adley has 'Ribbons' (her plush giraffe) and backup 'Ribbons' (in case former Ribbons dies, of course) that she loves, but she seems to like Sophie more.
So, what's the catch??? Well first off, Sophie is a $15.00 toy and I'm not normally akin to buying ONE toy for $15.00. But, you say, you can find them online for cheaper. Yes, yes you can...the price isn't my biggest issue.
Sophie is made of rubber. If there is one thing I hate (yes, actually hate) in life it is wet, squeaky rubber. Call it a pet peeve of mine. Squeaky rain boots, bad windshield wipers, doormats, and even Sophie make me want to grind my teeth. And trust me, I try not to. I don't enjoy the feelings I get when I hear my sweet daughter chewing on that lovable toy.
I love Adley and Sophie is a great teething toy, but I can hear Adley gnawing away on Sophie's adorable little ears from across the room...
NO CAN DO...yuck. Selfish, yes, but with my SANITY intact I will call this mothering acceptable. I love Adley and instead of her giving all her attention to a cute, little, adorable, RUBBER giraffe, she can crawl all over and love on her mommy instead.
Side Note: I've been doing these Dear Daughter notes on Facebook as Adley does something adorable or something little that I want to remember. I'm think I'd like to put these in a book or scrapbook so she can have them when she is older, I may even try to write her longer letters on her birthday or something. Any ideas or thoughts on this?
(Adley LOVES the swings and her Daddy is the BEST at getting her to smile...too cute!)
P.S. My husband bought me 'Crazy Love' today by Francis Chan...so be prepared for my rants on how moving this book will be!
Excited,
Heather


Hilarious post about Sophie!! I've just brought Jackson's Sophie giraffe out as he has become more coordinated to pick it up. I never really thought about the squeaky aspect (mine was a gift)! It's the exact kind of toy we buy Neo every time we go to the store except they cost 99 cents so I'm not heartbroken when he destroys them in ten seconds flat (you should see the graveyard under my bed). Sophie on the other hand...well, let's just say there probably won't be a backup Sophie AJ better not get used to her!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely LOVE Dear Daughter posts. You should definitely keep them for your scrapbook and post them here too if you have blog friends that are not in FB so they can read them as well.
I don't think you are doing anything wrong by not getting her something she wants that would drive you crazy. You're the mom, not her, and you get to decide what's best. Chances are in thirteen years she won't remember wanting this toy at all if she isn't told this story, and it seems really unlikely that not getting something she wants could hurt her. My mom *hates* asparagus, and it was never in our house growing up. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, and when I finally tried some (at the age of 24), my reaction was 'meh, so that's what it's like.' Thinking about what Adley wants and deciding if you think it's good for her before getting it for her is a great pattern for you to get into, because when she is older, there will likely be things that she wants that are very bad for her and that you shouldn't give her. If you already have steeled yourself to say "no, you can't have that even though you want it and are adorable", you will be doing her a great service, and she'll respect you for it. (Maybe not at the time. But maybe later on, when she realizes "hey, my mom was protecting me by telling me I couldn't do that thing that one time.") Just my opinion! (oh this is amelia btw.)
ReplyDelete